If you are new to Septic Systems or you just need a refresher on the ins and outs of the whole process, take advantage of this free bulletin from the Environmental Protection Agency. Read A Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems from the US EPA.
What is a septic system?
Simply put, a septic system is an underground system designed to store and treat waste without a connection to a municipal sewer system.
How often should I clean my septic system?
This depends on how many people live in your house – every two years for residents with up to three people, once a year for 4-5 residents, and every six months for households with more than six residents.
How long do septic systems last?
Septic systems will last up to 30 years if cared for correctly.
How do I know if my septic system is unhealthy?
If you notice any of these symptoms, call David Schaefer Septic immediately, before it gets worse!
- You find sewage in your toilet, sink, or shower
- Drains don’t drain – especially post-rainfall
- Unpleasant smells coming from around the leach field
- You notice sewage and/or soggy soil near the leach field, even if it hasn’t rained
- Biological or organic chemical contamination is detected in the nearby water supply
- If your system has an alarm light (some do, some don’t) then it may flash
- You notice sewage coming up from under the lid of the tank or the vault
What are the consequences if I ignore regular maintenance?
Septic tanks fill up over time. When they fill up too much, they back up. If unmaintained, the system will eventually lose its ability to carry away and treat waste entirely.
Do you provide Demolition Services?
Yes, we provide complete site work excavating services including demolition and removal of current buildings.
What areas do you service?
David Schaefer Septic, located in Andover, NJ in Sussex County, serves most of northern New Jersey including Sussex County, Warren County, Morris County & Passaic County including the towns of Andover, Branchville, Byram, Franklin, Fredon, Hamburg, Lafayette, Sparta, Sandyston, Stanhope, Wantage, Vernon, Allamuchy, Blairstown, Budd Lake, Hackettstown, Hope, Green Township, Randolph, Chester, Long Valley, Flanders, Mendham, Chatham, Rockaway, Jefferson, Mount Olive, Pequannock, Wayne, Riverdale, Pompton Lakes, Kinnelon, Butler, Boonton & More